Sunday, August 31, 2008

"Kill 'em with kindness"

Ok this post is irrelevant of China, and is not referencing anything specific I just want to know what others opinions on this topic might be.
So during church today I was reading through the scripture, which I've begun doing a lot at church since I don't speak chinese but I do read English.. it's rather convenient.
Anyway, I come across Romans 12: 17-21 which is a chapter many of us have heard, even non-christians have been told this I'm sure. 

"Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord. On the contrary: 'If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirst, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head' Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." -- Romans 12:17-21 NIV

Ok so here's what I began to consider, I feel these verses have been transposed into the infamous saying "Kill them with kindness" and in a way I can see where "you will heap burning coals on his head" can be interpreted to mean that. However, I find another meaning in this. I see "killing with kindness" and the idea of this as sin in itself. I thing the purpose of these verses is to take anger, and resentment out of our own lives so in turn we lead more promising, uplifting lives. Killing with kindness is still a concept of vengefulness. It seems to me this theory is just as bad as actually hurting a person. Your intent is still the same, you still put as much effort, and frustration into both actions, killing with kindness, or out right anger. It seems that it wastes even more negative energy to be overly kind to another person when in your heart you do not feel like being kind to them, and truly if you aren't being kind in your heart then you aren't being loving the way God wants you to love. So should we actually attempt to kill people with kindness, your mentality stays the same. Turning the other cheek, offering a helping hand to an enemy through genuine kindness is much more difficult of a task I believe. This aspect takes much more prayer, meditation, and devotion to God to muster up the courage and strength to be kind to someone we would put as strong of a term towards as enemy.  I know for me it would be next to impossible at some moments. This is a fact I am embarrassed to admit. Who wants to admit that they are weaker than their anger towards an enemy? Yet I feel this is where the importance of this verse is found. I can NOT brush past anger or resentment and then continue on to compassion, adoration, and even love for someone I consider an enemy without leaning on the strength of Christ. The teachings of Paul, though at times are extremely confusing to me, as many people feel I'm sure, seem to serve such a purpose on so many different levels. These verses I have brushed by so many times thinking "of course we aren't suppose to be vengeful... easy enough to understand" stopped me today with this concept of how many of us actually stop these emotions as they rage inside of us and attempt to actually change them? Not just an outward physical change but an inward emotional change? Which causes our relationship with God to grow, or even our relationship with knowing ourselves to grow. You don't have to be a Christian to understand the struggle it takes for a person to change their mentality of life. 
So in stopping and reading this, what are your thoughts? Am I wrong in my concept of "killing with kindness"? How vengeful and yet all the same forgiving God do we serve? Of even in a non-religious aspect, how difficult is it to truly lend a helping hand with genuine kindness to an enemy? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what you're saying is, that that "killing with kindness" kindness is not real kindness, and you might as well be punching them in the face, instead of using that fake kindness, because it's basically the same thing, if not worse.

I agree. I usually just my enemies off and/or threaten them with physical harm.

We're not perfect, right?